Saturday, August 31, 2013

On the Basswood

Red-banded Leafhopper (Graphocephala coccinea)

These pretty red and green plant bugs are only about 5mm long so they often go unnoticed even though they aren't terribly shy or uncommon.

Jagged-Ambush Bug (Genus Phymata)

I wish all my insect pictures were in focus like this. Jagged ambush bugs are cooperative subjects.

Japanese Beetle(Popillia japonica)

I didn't notice this guy had some friends with him when I took the picture

Banded Argiope(Argiope trifasciata)

There are very few orb-weaver spiders about. A couple of seasons ago the tall grass was full of them; this is only the second I've noticed this August. I wonder what has changed, or if it just goes in cycles.

I find the structure of this spider's web quite interesting; not only does it have the zig-zagged stabilimentum below it like the black-and-yellow garden spider, it also covers the central area of the web in a very fine, almost transparent, film of silk.

No comments:

Post a Comment